Got a burning question about the Let's Go Tees Valley Commuter Challenge?
- Who can take part?
- Why should businesses take part?
- How do I encourage people in my organisation to take part?
- Why should I take part, if my workplace has signed up?
- What can I win?
- How do I sign up?
- Are you running the Challenge again?
- Do I need to re-register if I took part in the May Challenge?
- How do I contact you?
Any organisation, large or small, can take part. There is no limit to the number of people taking part in any organisation - the more the merrier!
The Let's Go Tees Valley Commuter Challenge is designed to make it easy for businesses to improve levels of congestion around their workplaces, help staff make healthier choices about the way they travel and improve their overall, happiness, health and wellbeing.
Active towns and cities, where people walk, cycle and use public transport more, have been identified as having healthier economies. According to Sustrans, the national walking and cycling charity, employee health promotion programmes can:
- Improve parking and congestion issues around your workplace
- Improve air quality
- Improve your employees physical and mental health and wellbeing
- Reduce absenteeism and presenteeism
- Reduce noise pollution
- Improve safety on the roads at peak times
The majority of car journeys in the UK, which is reported to have the most congested roads in Europe, are under five miles, one in five of these is less than a mile and almost half are under two miles - distances that could be walked or cycled for many of us.
Improving employee wellbeing and incorporating greener business practices all contribute to organisations' corporate social responsibilities.
We've thought of that. You can visit our promote the challenge page, where you can download posters and social media images to help tell others what you're doing. We have also included suggested email or newsletter text so you don't even have to work out what to say. Easy.
Prizes galore! We've teamed up with great businesses around the Tees Valley to make sure we've got plenty of prizes to keep you motivated during the week. At the end of the challenge, for every day that you have swapped your normal journey for a car-free trip to or from work, your name will be entered into a prize draw to win a Boardman Bike bundle including a new bike, helmet and cycling lights worth up to £750. Now surely that's worth leaving the car at home for?
Plus, active travel is a great way to increase your level of daily activity without going to the gym! Walking for 20 minutes burns (approx 1 mile) burns around 100 calories and cycling for around half an hour (approx 6 miles) will burn roughly 350 calories.
Your car-free journey will help your environment too, with improved air quality, reduced noise pollution and less congestion.
Taking part is completely free and you could even save money by walking, cycling or car-sharing with a colleague.
We've got oodles of prizes up for grabs. They are:
- Register by midnight 1 September 2019 and be automatically entered to win a 1/2 day spa and dine package at Rockcliffe Hall for two people
- Tees Barrage International White Water Centre 2 hour Stand up paddleboard lesson with instructor for up to 8 people
- Four one week Arrive North East bus tickets (one prize winner)
- Sparkling afternoon tea for two at Wynyard Hall
- Fitbit Versa
- Workplace Breakfast Box Delivery
- Final Prize of a Boardman Bike Bundle up to £750 which includes a bike, a helmet and cycling lights.
Simpy visit the sign up page and complete the short form. Will also need to download the journey log form to keep a record of your journeys throughout the week. At the end of the week you will receive an email with a link to where you can log your journeys online.
Yes! We will be running the Commuter Challenge again from 16-22 September 2019. You can sign up today to take part!
Short answer, yes you do!
Long answer: We need everyone to register for each challenge. Even if you took part last time you'll need to sign up again to take part this time. The advantage of having done it before is that you should be getting some pre-event messages to remind you to sign up!
If you have any queries, you can drop us a line at:
01325 40 50 40
So... what are you waiting for, sign up today!